Monday:
First:
-Laundry- Picture and instructions for washing machine up in photos
-Going out with Yuki-chan for dinner (A place called Ruby`s- very western style)
-First Gyuudon
Felt for quite a while that all was right with the world.
Tuesday:
-First time at Nagawa middle school
Thursday:
-First time at Mareppu elementary school.
Firsts: -Observed Englishman ALT teacher, veteran Japanese teacher giving math lesson, had mysterious, crippling lower back pain. Learned one of the ALTs in the area barely speaks any Japanese; felt great burden lifted off shoulders upon hearing that. Complimented as being not just jouzu ( skilled ), but perapera ( fluent ). How I long for the day when I can deserve such a compliment!
- First time at Sekinai elementary school. Treated as a member of what seemed to be one big family- 22 kids and 8 teachers. Felt very much like a home. Fell in love with everyone there. Can`t wait to return.
Firsts: -Was finally given decent explanation of what I should be doing in the classroom. Also, when leaving, was given not just the name of where I needed to get off the bus, but also a romanji pronunciation guide, and the jockiest looking teacher came out to make sure I had money for the bus. They even told the driver- "Drop her off in front of Shiakusho, please!" I have been riding the bus by myself for two weeks with far less consultation. I wish they had been with me towards the beginning.
-Was able to have extended conversation without falling onto English as a crutch.
-Was invited to read all of the children`s books I wanted, and even recommended a few well-known ones.
-Was asked to teach classroom English to the teacher, and in return requested casual Japanese conversation after each lesson. WIN WIN SITUATION.
Friday:
- First time forgetting wallet at lunch. Breakdown of situation:
(Roughly 12:20) realization of forgotten wallet. Begging in broken Japanese to return to apartment and bring back money. Request approved.
(12:35) Arrival at apartment. Realize keys forgotten at office.
(12:50) Arrival at Ramen-ya. Pleading in broken Japanese for permission to return after work, at 4:30.
(1:05 - 4:44) Realization that I told the gal the wrong time, I get off work at 4:45. Stress.
(4:45) Reminded that my welcoming party is that day. What. What. Oh Gooood. I had forgotten. Was requested to return to the office by 6pm.
(5:00) Return to Ramen ya. Explain distraughtly to an incredibly polite and unflustered tenant that I messed up and will be back with my wallet.
(5:15) Arrive at apartment. Have remembered keys. Grab wallet.
(5:30) Return to Ramen ya. Throw 730\ their way and receive bright and enthusiastic "Please come again"s. What the heck.
(5:45) Arrive at apartment. Stress. Shower.
(6:06) Arrive at office. Everyone still winding down their work days, so am not late. SUCCESS.
From there.
-First:
-party with my coworkers
-party in Japan
-time trying many new foods, none of which I can name, and neon-green melon soda
-time interacting with people from the beginning of the drinking to the comfortably drunken state (this wasn`t me drinking, I just usually don`t hang around that long when people are getting tipsy)
- public karaoke
-time experiencing the Japanese honne (true face)
-time trying to figure out how to get smoke out of clothes
Saturday:
Firsts:
-finally turned on tv and found anime there. Kyo Kara Mao, Sergeant Frog, and Reborn.
-Eating Hamburg (pictures and video included of restaurant. Was laughing the entire time over the musical selections. Could barely focus on meal)
-Japanese concert (video and pictures included)
-Actually got cold. Everyone else must have been dying.
Sunday:
-Went for drive with Suzuki-san and his wife.
Firsts: Saw Sangai Taki (pictures included). Also, Pacific Northwest Totem poles???
Saw lake Toyako from above (pictures and explaination of interesting geological situation included) . Ate spaghetti with them and their daughter. Went to the Date City Museum after watching blacksmith at work making katanas (video included). Museum didn`t allow pictures but I will put up images scanned from brochure. Museum guide spoke near-fluent English and explained a lot of history to me (pleasantly, where she couldn`t explain, I found I already knew what things were a lot of the time!).
Spent the afternoon in bed with my laptop. Discovered TV could be pointed at bed. Oh my, yes. Watched Japanese dubbed "All the Pretty Horses" and some Arnold Schwarzenneger flick. Don`t ask me.
First authentic Japanese home-cooked meal together with the Suzukis. Raw tuna, rice, teriyaki chicken, daikon radish, lotus root, edamame, woolong tea. Absolutely delicious.
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment