Sleep really does do amazing things, I'm feeling a lot better today after 7 hours of it. I even tidied up a little patch of my house (which, since it's so small, is actually a good percentage of the space even though all I did was move a pair of pants and a pile of papers).
Got to spend the day translating and enjoyed it. Mr. Suzuki helped me with one part and I ended up giggling when he walked away and said in English with an exaggerated thumbs up, "Good Job!". Earlier today Mr. Ishi made me laugh too. When he and Kachou were leaving, I very quietly said, "いってらっしゃい" as I usually do, too worried about screwing up to do it very assertively. To my surprise he turned back, saluted, and said いってきます with conviction. It made me smile hard and I waved goodbye to him grinning (waving is definitely not normally a part of this exchange). So later when they left again, I whispered another いってらっしゃい and this time he waved at me!
Later Mr. Uemura sneezed rather violently three times and the first two times I resisted, but the third I had to say "Bless you three times". Mr. Fujita was startled by this and had me explain. "Bless you だけじゃなくて?"
"Bless you three times. 3 times." -holding up three fingers- "ああなるほど。” He asked why, if there was something special about it and I responded that three times just seemed rather 大変. Mr. Uemura said it built muscle.
Still not interacting much with my coworkers but I do like them.
At lunch I picked up some bread from the bakery and got some juice and gyoza at the grocery store. The lines were pretty bad and the lady in front of me had a full basket. To my shock, she told the clerk to take care of my two items first. I 大変失礼しました'd my way in front of her and thanked her before rushing to fish out my change. When I checked the price she moved to offer me the 8円 extra. I thanked her profusely before I left. I have no idea why she did this kind act for me, especially since the older population are renown for elbowing their way in first, regardless of who loses an eye. Was it because I'm a foreigner? Because I'm young? Because I had so few items?
I really have no idea. I only know that I went from being sort of patient and apathetic to feeling incredibly lucky. Small selfless gestures really can change a person's day.
Going over to Akiko's friend, Yayoi's house tonight for food. Not sure how it's gonna go and have to remember to be on my guard. I appreciate her talking to me, but since it's part of her job to flirt with absolutely everyone in the office I am a bit apprehensive of how she will be when outside the office. Upon first meeting her first question to me was also "Do you have a boyfriend", "What's your type", and then upon explaining I didn't have or need one, she brought me a tall young man from some other department to meet. I know it's friendly but what the hell. Anyway she is a nice girl and apparently went to sekinaisho. I know that means nothing but I do so have a soft spot for that school!
Exley seems to be understanding my predicament and didn't scold me for ditching the second paper. Said he'll look at my translation of ICO and see whether or not it's ok to use in place of my third homework assignment. I hope so. Only a few sentences away from finishing Chapter 1. Still a lot more to go, but I'm that much closer than I was before.
Also had a thought today. The sky here is incredible. At night it is so ink black that I begin to feel opressed, as though I am in eternal darkness. But during the day it is so blindingly white it is as though the sky were made of glowing milk. Then, when the sun goes down, it drops rapidly, first making the light fiercely orange, then softening to pinks and blues with neon orange punching through the gaps in the clouds. Finally it sinks from soft blue to dark gray and almost immediately plummets into the blackness around 4:30pm.
Maybe it's the clouds?
PS- The tobacco ban on Gaia has ended. It looks as though I'll be staying around the site. And trying to dodge any legal action that lands on me for encouraging people to send headquarters cigarettes. It's peaceful but if any of the staff were disturbed or felt threatened they could take legal action.
I've got plenty of defense and I'm not really worried, but that the thought of being prosocuted even exists sucks.
Tuesday, November 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment