Wednesday, December 23, 2009

12.23.09

Spent yesterday and the night before with Megan over in Toya. About the 22nd. The santa thing... happened. It's over now. Thank goodness. I think a little piece of me died inside doing it. I know people think kids are stupid, but honestly sticking someone like me in the suit and claiming me to be the real thing is just too much. I know there was at least one little boy who believed it with great excitement. But there were a lot of, "Hey... something's not right here" looks on those little faces. And it was structured exactly like a lesson. It's no wonder the magic of Christmas seems strangely absent here, despite most of the traditions being in place, in some form or another.

Botched things a bit at Nagawasho but the kids are great. Came back and did all manner of running around taking care of paycheck. Took a taxi to the station, but didn't know how to call and chickened out, calling Mayu and getting her to help me. Riding the train was a lot of fun, actually. I didn't realize Toya was so close. On the train I eavesdropped on a few students riding home (nothing terribly interesting- "You two are going out?" "Didn't you know?" "No" - after the two dating left, the one boy asked the other, "Did you know they were going out?") and enjoyed the feeling of leaving town.
Megan's friend Shannon (I think) picked me up from the station and spent the evening with us. We watched the first episode of Batman Beyond (which I had forgotten was totally awesome), read some Gonterman comics, which I think broke both of their brains, and in general geeked out and ranted about slash and female roles in comics, drawing, all manner of stuff. Probably went a little overboard and accidentally pushed Shannon out of conversation a few times, but she didn't seem too horrified. Or perhaps I am calloused to this now that I've had an anime club and we are the majority.

For not having anyone to geek out with for six months I feel like I behaved myself pretty well. Slipped a few times, especially when I decided Megan and I needed to watch Superjail after she showed me an episode of The Zeta Project. Probably could have just skipped that and saved it for when I got home (I ended up watching all of it again, yay). But we drew together, she made a really amazingly delicious meat, mushroom, and potato pie along with pumpkin soup, then eggs and bacon for breakfast (with a side of rice), and we shared some music and comics. Her house is pretty messy but I felt comfortable there. I even bullied her into letting me wash dishes as a Christmas present.

It didn't really feel like Christmas but it was a lot of fun. Dunno if she'll have free time enough that we can visit again in the near future, but when I'm with her good drawings seem to happen, so i'm really looking forward to it.

Fake PS- the bus ride home was hilarious. I settled into my seat expecting it to take at least twenty minutes and the stop after Toya was Usu eki mae. Which I go to when I teach at Ususho. やっぱり、洞爺は伊達のとなりの市だ。

No comments:

Post a Comment