Tuesday, September 1, 2009

9.2.09

It comes to mind this country is pretty good at keeping foreigners from getting the real deal when it comes to the culture. I mean this in the context of food. I suppose in America it's the same, that resturants serve mostly specialty foods and you're not going to run into many places that make it just like you ate it around the dinner table. But at the same time I'm having a hard time with food. For a while there I was trying to make it myself, which was well and good. But I've gotten into this lazy mode where I'd rather have three or four hours to unwind each day rather than spend two of those hours cooking and cleaning up, then the other two just laying in a stupor, staring at the walls out of exhaustion. This has resulted in searching for resturants, which can take up to an hour or so before I eat and are not guarenteed to fill me up despite the cost, and a lot of conbini bento. A lot.
Basically since I got back from Tokyo I've been dropping into a conbini or Hotto Motto, downing some fast food, and not thinking anything of it. It tastes good, it's cheap, but I have noticed, I am gaining weight. Signifigantly. Not terribly surprising considering most of the oh-so-healthy fish and chicken is fried, but still. It would be nice if I could somehow mooch off a family dinner the way I always have. Living like a spoiled husband my whole life has left me a rather pitiful bachelor. I get offers to go to people's houses, but it seems impractical every day of the week and there are just times I want to go back to my own space and do my own thing.

Anyway. Finally have the time to decently record what's happened the last few days, and of course complaints come to mind. But rather than holding onto the bad at Usuchuu today, I'll say the first years were fabulous and I love them. They use a lot of English in play and complimented what I drew in earnest. The boys are particularily playful. It's a fun class. Currently their favorite phrase is "OH REALLY?" Which of course I have to play along with, because I am a nerd and see owls.

Tonight I'll go "drinking" with Mayu. Apparently we'll win some eggs. I'll write about it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment