Friday, October 2, 2009

10.2.09

Stayed up way too late last night watching stupid crap on Youtube/scratching together story ideas and feel that damn cold coming back today. Have the ballet tonight.

Hoshinoka was good today, the elementary school teacher said way better than the first time. She does an incredible amount of preparation and speaks and writes beautiful English. The middle school teacher doesn't really know what she's doing but the kids are behaving themselves better than before. Taught a little bit about Halloween. Some of those kids are really sharp- can pick up on what I'm saying in English without much explaination. Saccamochan and Cathy were both moping today. Wonder why. Getting used to seeing children sitting on top of tall cabinets and the like. Except for some really loud screaming or damaging behavior, I do kind of like the kids being feral. Had a good time with the first group of fifth graders. One boy is especially sharp, knows his English a lot better than the others. The girls showed me their jump roping and unicycling skills in the huge, white gymnasium, told me there's a place nearby with a lot of horses. They're all really nice to me there. Even the boys don't bully me much. Got hit with a plastic mallet but it was brief and there was no impact to it really. Makes me happy they don't mind me.

Sekinaisho was days of the week and I drilled the kids on Thursday for a while. The Thur sound is really hard for them but but building it up to be a big deal and spending some time with it, they actually did make a lot of progress. Wanting to do it properly is stopping them from pronouncing it in katakana eigo, which might be hard at first, but should pay off if it isn't too detrimental in this early period. Also shared in on the "science" class, which became world culture since I was invited in. We discussed greetings in French and Spanish, and I tried to explain why people tip their hats. Realized painfully that even in this school which I love, their handling of mentally challenged kids is subpar. Poor Aki-kun is frequently rushed and teased for being different when it's clear he has form of disability. I don't think it's really abuse but it doesn't seem right for some reason.

Anyway still trying to memorize names- mistook Shuichi for Hikari. Learned the teensiest girl is Ako. Of course there's Saya, Ayumu, Koume, Nanae (my bus buddy), Sakura, Kana, and Ryuuhei. But I cannot for the life of me remember the rest yet. Gotta keep trucking.

Nice rainy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment