Too cold to go without the stove anymore. Today was Nagawasho. Everyone's getting sick apparently- I got a mask and two of the fifth graders (leaving only four students) were home resting today. Their pronunciation is scary good. We did Gairaigo today and they just nailed it. Sixth graders did quite ok, fouth graders did animal practice and none of those kids like any animals. It was fun drawing stuff on the board and teaching them though. They put in good effort.
Watched the school play before coming back to the office. The instructions for each student were pretty much "Just say it as loudly as you can". For some kids this advice would be valuable, but for others I think they could tone it back and be safe. It made me laugh, seeing these small people acting out roles I'm so familiar with from movies and such. The wise old man (who of course says わし and の instead of ね, the squabbling father and sons (なんだとー?!), the distraught wife (あんた、どしお?). I guess they've only been practicing a week but they already have their lines and movements memorized. It reminded me of when I was a little kid, though I can't remember if I was in a school play. I also wanna figure out if in the states it's normal to have the kids deliver all their lines to the audience and not to each other, and subsequently never turn their back to the audience.
This happens sometimes. I'll think something's odd, but when I try to think of how it is in the states I can't remember, and I'm not sure if it's different or not.
Thursday, October 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment