Thursday, January 21, 2010

1.22.10

Datesho always puts me in a great mood. It's my biggest ego booster because not only are the kids so affectionate (well, there are a lot of affectionate kids), but I really have to earn my paycheck. The teachers step back in most of the classes and I am given the chance to spring forward and somehow piece together a lesson that is both understandable, engaging, and close to the textbook in some way. I still can't very well, but I at least feel 100 times more comfortable with the kids than I did in the beginning. I found today that I could make even the spaced-out, unhappy looking kids smile if I just made eye contact and gave a smile directed just at them. It might seem common sense, but it was cool. Like I had some kind of smile lazer.
I'm really coming to enjoy working with the young female teacher. It's her first year and when I first started classes with her, I thought she was so nice that she'd be eaten up and spit out a mean and bitter person. But she's really held her ground. Classes were in chaos for a while there, but it seems as though they are coming back into order. Even in the class where all the kids insist they can't understand my English or Japanese, an assertive, "Stop!" can quiet them down. Waving excitedly and calling, "Hello!" can also usually get the attention of talking students long enough to interrupt their conversation and get them back on track.

5年3組's Kino-chan was my partner for lunch today. She really fawns on me, and always gives a big smile whenever I glance past her in class. She says she's going to bring me a new picture of Moko, that her fur was cut so now she looks like a tiny shiba inu.

I was in such a good mood (especially since I slept like crazy last night and woke up all boke) that after I finished writing in my class journal, I went off to try and find the library. If I can find a copy of slaughterhouse five, I'll buy it and give it to that really smart girl at Nagawa. I'll check the used book store tonight. I didn't find the library but I saw a giant crow that sounded like a dog outside of Super Arcs. Then I bought some yogurt and mochi and sort of rolled around a while before heading back. Nobody noticed I was gone longer than usual. I offered to help Mrs. Takekawa move some heavy looking things since she is such a tiny little woman (although she can really do anything- she stood on my table and installed the new lightbulbs for me last night after an especially bitterly cold trek across the ice) and Mr. Ito had me move some boxes, then asked me to shred some documents. Afterwards I asked Mr. Suzuki about a poster warning people to beware of Raccoons (アライグマ- isn't that adorable?). This has to be the most amount of interaction I've ever had in the office.

I'm starting to get bummed out I only have another two to three months going into school, and only four months here. I actually don't think I have any more classes after March. It's really getting down to the wire.
I want pictures. Maybe email addresses.
Oh, what should I do.

PS-
After work, I wasn't quite ready to go home right away, feeling all footloose and fancy free. So I trucked myself over to the used book store. It was as if I was meant to be there, because sitting on the shelf directly in front of the door, right in my line of sight, was a big beautiful book with the word "mushishi" on the side of it. Needless to say it did not leave my hands after I spotted it. Inside are sketches and overlays of the anime on the manga, showing even more clearly how beautifully integrated they are. There is a veritable treasure trove of beauty inbetween those covers. These days I really don't do a lot of shopping compared to other people, and I generally agonize over price. But this was a no brainer. No matter the price, it would be worth it. And it turns out it was a mere 1000 yen (about 10 dollars). I asked the tenant if he knew of Kurt Vonnegut and he pretty embarrassedly backed the heck out of that idea, going so far as to say, "There probably aren't any books written by foreign authors, because the Japanese can't do English". Oh ye of little faith.
Anyway, gave the place a good scan and was pleasantly tickled to run into the second volume of Planetes, which the recycle shop didn't have. I contemplated Detroit Rock City but was feeling warm and glowy about my two finds and went to pay. The tenant asked me if I was living in Muroran and was pretty shocked to hear I was from Date. He asked about my job and seemed thunderstruck by the idea of me being there. He said he didn't know where Montana was from, and was really surprised that I've been here six months now. During this conversation, I paid, and he quickly turned around and came back with a can of coca cola and another can of coffee. When I asked, he responded, "Sabisu desu" (Service = freebie, extra, bonus).

I wanted to write a little song when I was walking home, as I have taken to singing random lyrics or melodies into my phone (it has the ability to record voice notes). The words went like this:
"It's not the typical pace
but you can see by my face
I'm happy
just to be here
to be with you
all my dreams are coming true"
The melody wasn't as cheesy as the words, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment