I saw the most ridiculous motorbike I have ever seen in my life while riding the bus back to work. The back of it was as wide as a car- maybe it had four wheels back there and something that looked like a rocket engine coming out the back. This big white thing was cruising down the road, piloted by a guy who seemed equally ridiculous in how into riding that thing he was. It was as long as a car at least and almost looked like a drag racer. I wish I’d had my camera out.
The kids were great to me at Kyuushoku today. I made note at one point of finding the only students who openly dislike me at Higashisho, but I forgot that the rest are positively great and the gals from the mice club also go there. I had lunch with the class of one of my semi-difficult teachers (He’s very good except for wanting me to teach “the proper” way to do things- aka my way, even if it is different from the book. In some cases that makes me a bit nervous since the kids will likely soon recognize what they have been taught is different than what the kids in the next class over are using, and the next AET that comes may have a totally different way of playing rock paper scissors or completely different gestures for the responses to “how are you”. When the teacher requested I use gestures I would actually use in conversation I was at a bit of a loss- suppose I should have role played a bit better). There was a flurry of rock paper scissors and the grand champion was awarded… the prize of helping me set up lunch in their cluster of desks. To my surprise this was met with a small chorus of いいね as far as I understand it, a kind of “Lucky you”. Some conversation happened and overall the feeling was very good and relaxed. They’re nice kids.
I had mice club and saw an english gentleman teach in a way that really cowed me and made me realize I am not an educator. I also get the feeling that I may be relying too much on Japanese when during lessons I should stick to more English. An easy enough adjustment.
My bike got left behind at the office since I was driven to Mice club, so when I was dropped off at home I was without it. I did my laundry first since the machine is loud and I don't want to annoy the neighbors running it late at night but I was so hungry. I ate the remaining cheese from my fridge, rice and miso soup from the night before, a banana, god knows what else. I was crashing by the time my laundry was done. I walked to the office and saw Ishi-san still working even though it was around 8pm. He's such a nice guy. I can tell he is intimidated by me not understanding Japanese too well but I can also tell he's very good-natured. I was past the point of hungry but the grocery store was closed, so I conceeded and ate at Ruby's again. It's greasy but filling and the shopkeeper seems to be warming up to me. I want to find a new resturaunt but I'm afraid to explore when I'm that far gone.
I finally found where to buy the kind of melon pan I like. It is so delicious. I prefer the kind without melon paste inside, though.
Tuesday, July 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment