Thursday, July 16, 2009

7.16.09

Felt very relaxed at the office today. With the exception of some weird scheduling messes I made for the next few days and eating far too big a lunch that left me dazed, I got to take it easy, thoroughly research and more definitely make plans for Honshu, practice a little kanji (I swear my writing is getting better) and even got to translate a bit more of Ico. It is a tedious process, but the first page is beginning to come together and I am feeling little charges of electricity when I understand things. More than just my own pride at putting together these sentences, the content too is nibbling at the edges of my heart, making it beat faster. It is at once somehow familiar and completely strange and new, and I am always wondering if I haven’t made some mistake- sometimes I am relieved to find something that offers evidence that I’ve done things right, and sometimes I realize something is backwards or a word means something different than I initially thought. I’m only on page 2 out of 534, but that’s two pages further than I was in the beginning, and it is certainly more promising than the children’s stories I’ve been reading.
Speaking of which I am keeping my eye out for the Cat who lived 100 lives, but the used book store I wandered into last week didn’t have it. There was a ton of manga, but for some reason I wasn’t all that drawn to it… I was tempted to buy Outlaw Star and send it to Weston but I don’t know his address. I still haven’t started buying manga, but honestly I haven’t seen any of my favorites around. I swear as soon as I see Mushishi that’s coming home with me, though. Posterity be damned.
I spent last night with the Kawanishis. Curry Rice, shrimp, rolled egg, sausage, a ton of fresh vegetables and apples for dessert. We watched a bit of a program I actually found interesting since the challenge was to guess the purpose and workings of certain unusual things, such as a safety escape slide that drops straight down rather than at a angle- but how can a person go from the window of a tall building into that thing and not drop directly onto the pavement? The answer was a spiral built inside of it, so a person would slide down in loops, slowing their decent to perfectly safe speeds. The Kawanishis are very kind people. Perhaps with them I will learn how to cook a bit more. I went home with a full stomach and refreshed spirits.

No comments:

Post a Comment