Yesterday I met with Fukushi-sensei and her english speaking group at the culture center. I'd never actually been inside of the building, or really seen the place when it wasn't packed with people, and it was beautiful. The black crows and white seagulls on a vast green lawn was a beautiful sight. I haven't been taking my camera with me all that often lately, and that needs to change. Inside the building too seems like an interesting place and I'd like to go explore some weekend. I'm a bit too busy lately, though. This weekend will be the Date city Matsuri and I will apparently be dolled up in armor and sat on a horse, so woohoo for that.
Fukushi-sensei's english group is composed of older people, but each one seems to have a very interesting story behind them, and most of them are quite proficient in English. One older lady didn't speak any at all, but she said she was lonely and wanted to visit her daughter in Hawaii, who never came to Japan. I felt a bit guilty since I haven't been talking to mom lately. I owe it to her, but that obligation feels heavy and I just don't want to deal with it a lot of the time. One of the men in the group is a big fan of 'macaroni westerns' and likes Gary Cooper especially. I will watch High Noon someday.
After the onsen on Sunday I didn't have any dinner, and yesterday morning I missed breakfast too- overslept, probably because my body was too hungry. I did get lunch after the english group but by that point I was sweating. Fukushi-sensei and her friends took me to a travel agent and we tried to work out my plans, and I was distracted by a poster for the 'anti-kaubuki'- stage performance with a cast of only women playing all of the roles. Very interesting looking. Bit expensive, but in Sapporo, so maybe I'll go see it in the fall. Did a lot of riding in the rain, came back to the office.
After work I ate at the resturant Mayu introduced me to and had a fun conversation with the owner. The gals who work there are so cute and friendly. The atmosphere is great. They have a clock that looks like a french horn. It's hard to explain, but it's very neat. The food is cheap and good, too. She always gives me free coffee.
I headed to postful and while waiting bought a little capsule toy of Moyashimon. I haven't made many nerdy purchases here, and honestly that 200 yen brought me more glee than almost anything else so far. I will go back and buy more. It is so inexpensive and unobtrusive that I can have fun with it.
I met up with Mr. Suzuki and he more or less carried me through the tedious and difficult process of the travel agency at postful- making phone calls to the train station, translating, and ultimately making the payment of several hundred dollars since the ATM machine was closed and I couldn't get my money. He told me today that in Japan people under 20 can't travel without a parent's permission, and so put his own name on the paperwork as my father. When I heard that I couldn't stop smiling. I feel that way about him. He can be a bit particular, but those qualities too make me think of him as family. His wife and daughter, too, couldn't be warmer to me. If I spend this whole year with him I think maybe I will know him and his family better than my real father. That's partially my fault, but partially Dad's, too.
After the travel agency (around 8 at night) Mr. Suzuki wiped my sopping wet bike off with his handkerchief and told me to be careful, asked if my bike light was on. I rode up to the Lawson's and bought a big breakfast and my ticket to the Ghibli museum- it really took some perserverance to do so, and I was upset to learn the only opening was the one closest to the museum's closing time on the day of my arrival, but i got through it. My stomach was still caving in on itself so I went to hottomotto and picked up a bento. Went home, ate it, watched flight of the conchords, went to sleep.
Woke up this morning at 5, terrible itchy since I hadn't showered since the Onsen. I can only imagine the chlorine in the water was eating my skin. My stomach felt awful. Simultaneously too hungry and unable to eat more. I am sure it's because I've never gone so long without eating before. Without any hesitation I took a thorough shower, ate a few bites of my breakfast bento, laid back down and tried to get back to sleep despite my strange and angry stomach. It was settled down by the time I woke up again.
Work has been normal. I think I'm getting faster at translating Ico. My doubts are settling, too. I will get through all of it. As long as I don't pull another fast I think my energy will get back to normal. I'll start going to Daycares on the 3rd.
Monday, July 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment