Note to self. Make Porcupine character. Possibly an old man.
Have had "Too Many Dicks on the Dancefloor" stuck in my head all day. Have been watching the second season of Flight of the Conchords and love it.
Two nights ago Mr. Suzuki invited me to dinner and taught me about the detailed schedule he'd made for me for Tokyo.
Last night went to temple with Shuji students, participated in my first Buddhist prayer, ate some curry, went home and did laundry (I had no more clean underwear), then dragged my ass over to the neighbor's to try on a Yukata. In between all that I watched some things on Kurt Vonnegut and felt my brain waking up again. Also, Debra gave me a beautiful doll, some phrase books, and a magazine that actually seems interesting.
Today when Takekawa-san asked for my cellphone number, Ishi-san, Fujita-san, and Uemura-san were really surprised and curious that I had a phone, too. Fujita-san asked, "Is it pink?"
When I was giving my number he and Uemura-san gathered around and took turns calling me so I would have their numbers, too.
I like my little unit here at the 学校教育係.
I am feeling even more desperately lonely to talk to Haisi and Shadow. It's been several days since even a brief checking-in. More than anything I want to go home and be creative, since sitting here and focusing/researching/studying/reading at the office has stoked up my motivation. I think when I came to Japan I was looking for this- this getting lost in research and learning whatever I feel like, as I feel like, without being distracted by time-wasters. Today I learned about the Korean War, Muhammad Ali, and Conscientious Objectors, and read Jack London's "Water Baby" as reccomended by Rachael. I'm working my way through White Fang.
Instead of going and being creative I'm going to practice dancing with my neighbors tonight. On the first there's a big dance at night. I'll try it out. Tomorrow night I'm socializing too. I'm starting to feel frayed.
Wednesday, July 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
How was "Water Baby"? Did you like?
ReplyDeleteI love Jack London and when I read it in Japanese I practically squealed when the sharks started talking. :3
Lol, I'm glad for you. I'm so surprised you were able to read something like that in another language, though. I had a hard time in plain English- a lot of unfamiliar vocabulary and irregular grammar patterns. I enjoyed it, though. I love that kind of folk story.
ReplyDelete