Tuesday, July 7, 2009

7-3-09

Today was my first time at the school for children with learning impairments, Hinooka. It’s a very new, big school and every teacher but one that I spoke to was quite capable of speaking English. Many of the students, too, seemed interested in talking. I drew with one of the girls (Who stated her favorite anime to be Higurashi no Naku Koro ni – I have to admit that got me more worried than pretty much anything else I’ve encountered over here) and in turn received one of her drawings. One of the other girls, very quiet- Misato – gave me a hand-made charm of Pooh and delicate, pretty little characters exquisitely spelling out
‘Dear Rianna <3
From Misato`.

I’ve had Grizzly Bear’s “Two Weeks” stuck in my head all day (thanks to watching the addictively bizarre video with Yuki last night) and am really considering bribing someone back home to buy “Friend” and send it to me. It might be cheaper just to order it online. I`m not sure. I still have to pick up a box and some envelopes so I can start sending messages and candy back home. I owe Jenny several interesting treats I’ve found.
Tonight I will go to one of Date’s choir groups with Kimie Nakamura, one of the members of the English speaking group. I will get to enjoy the curry Yuki made last night and hopefully head to bed early. I did go pretty early last night.
My Japanese is still childish, but I feel like if I achieve a balance of berating it and trying like hell to be understood in it anyways, I can get somewhere. As long as I keep in mind it really is difficult to understand my stories a lot of the time, I can be more humble and try earnestly to convey my message regardless of how clean or correct it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment